Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Charm of Sharm




Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt's international tourist destination, was definitely my favorite city. The main attractions are diving, snorkeling and beach going. Sharm contains 1/3 of all hotels in Egypt, and the government claims that 80% of all housing here is in the form of hotels and only 3% houses the original Bedouin population in the area. This photo of the pool was taken from my room's balcony at the Marriott Hotel - the nicest place I stayed while traveling - but still no TP allowed in the toilet.



The Red Sea, just across the street from my hotel.


The beach is calling my name. Good thing I had plenty of SPF 30! I had to laugh at all the Europeans who were burned to a crisp - especially the German and Italian men in those skimpy, ugly speedos that very few men look good in.



Here is one of the Italian restaurants right on the beach. They were set up with ovens, a grill and crepe irons - totally decadent!



The seating area for the Italian restaurant.





The Sharm el Sheikh Hard Rock Cafe. I managed to get to 2 out of 3 Egyptian Hard Rock Cafes for Deb and her shot glasses. I only had 2 beers the entire 38 days I was in Egypt - one Egyptian beer at the Cairo Hard Rock, and a different Egyptian beer at the Sharm Hard Rock. (I returned home at least 10 pounds lighter as a result of such little drinking).

No comments: