Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Camel Trekking/Snorkeling in Ras Abu Galum



My camel pal, Gus, makes a strange sound as if he is gargling with Listerine. I didn't realize that camel's teeth were so large.





We gear up for our hour long ride to Ras Abu Galum.












Our Bedouin hut.











Said gets ready to chow.









<

I do think this little girl made my hat look much better than I could!

















In addition to carrying out all the other diving gear, each of these camels had to tote 4 scuba air tanks on our hour long journey back to Blue Hole!












Off we go!











Up at 7 AM Sunday, August 16, to meet my 18 yr. old Desert Divers' guide, Said, for our 2 day adventure to Ras Abu Galum in the Sinai Desert. Travelling with just my beach towel, swimsuit, lots of water and the clothing on my back, Said brought our snorkeling equipment, food, more water, all-important toilet paper (used as TP, napkins and paper towels), blankets (not necessary in the desert heat).

We climbed into a jeep that was on its last leg - I was given a front seat with a door that opened with a wire hanger. We drove over dirt roads, zig-zagging through a very poor neighborhood in Dahab where the goats appeared to outnumber the people; past luxurious coastal hotels in various phases of construction on the Red Sea; to the Blue Hole diving area, where I climbed aboard the poor camel who had to transport not only me, but all our provisions on an hour trek through all sorts of rocky terrain. One of the local Bedouins - a boy of about 13 - led the camel by its rope lead, while Said kept up walking alongside me. I thought the hour would never end! Going downhill was frightening, and I was so glad to be off that camel when it was all over!

We took all the food and water to this Bedouin hut - I have never seen such poor living conditions. This was a family of 5 children who made their living from cooking for all the divers that came through the area. The kids were adorable, running very freely (as in naked) in the area bordered by mountains on one side and the Red Sea on the other. The outhouse (referred to as its British name throughout Egypt - water closet - or WC for short), was just a hole in the ground. Interestingly, nowhere in Dahab or the desert for that matter, are you supposed to put your used TP in the toilet - I'm guessing the plumbing just cannot handle it. So, conveniently, hanging on the inside of the WC door, there was a bag for the used TP. OK, that did gross me out.

After we ate and rested - Said is really into both activities - we did a "jump" - his term for snorkeling. I had a lot of trouble clearing my breathing tube because of the rough water. Every wave seemed to find its way into my mouth. Finally, we headed in a different direction and I was able to enjoy the incredible, colorful reefs that just followed one right after the other (at times like this, I wish I was scuba diving, when all is calm below the surface).

The time passed by so slowly because there was absolutely nothing to do where we were once we finished snorkeling. I was glad that Said decided to leave earlier with a group of divers who finished up at 2:30 PM the next day. But, to my dismay, we were all riding camels out! Another hour of torture - I now have bowed legs and a boil on my butt thanks to the back and forth over that hump! I don't even have a good picture of me to prove that I made it since Said failed to get the camel in the frame after it got up with me on it.

Yvonne and Holly, you'll be glad to know that I donated my fancy sun hat (that you made fun of) to one of the little girls in the village. I must admit she (and her brother) looked much better in it than I did.

I was so glad to return to my air-conditioned room in Dahab after my adventure, and decided to forego my other planned desert trip in favor of spending 2 days in Sharm el Sheikh, relaxing and enjoying Naama Bay.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my. It sounds like quite an adventure. We have friends who go snorkling in the Red Sea and they rave about how beautiful it is... and say nothing about camels or waves. Or outhouses. Must be a different part of the Sea? I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed the camel and the outhouse. But, your sense of adventure really gives me a charge. I love your blog and the stories. Any photos to go along with this one? No portrait of your camel? Did he have a name? - Jim

Barb said...

yes Jim, I do have some photos to share but need to get to a place where I can upload them. I think my camel's name was Gus - it suited him very well.

There are other great places to dive besides Ras Abu Galum - Blue Hole and Assalah Bay in Dahab. There are reefs everywhere.

Unknown said...

I'm sooo glad your hat found a good home. I've spent sleepless nights praying for such a miracle!

Re: TP bag. That was the case everywhere in Ethiopia as well. You're right...it's disgusting.

DavidC said...

What a great trip!

And a boil to boot (or is that bootie)!