Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to Cairo for Departure




One last look at the amazing pyramids from my hotel in Giza, the le Meridien (supposedly a 5-star hotel, but nowhere near as nice as the Marriott I just left in Sharm el Sheikh).



During my taxi ride from hell - I mean the airport - I had about an hour to reflect on my entire trip (it was either that or focus on my Muslim driver's road rage during the holy month of Ramadan - the only person praying in the taxi was me). This trip made driving in Washington DC metro traffic look like child's play. So I drew up 2 lists - things that I would miss, and things that I would not miss...



Things I would miss:


  • the friends I made during my many adventures
  • the food at Zanilli's
  • Karnak & Luxor Temples
  • the Citadel in Cairo
  • the Pyramids & Sphinx
  • relaxing in the Red Sea in Dahab & Sharm el Sheikh
  • floating down the Nile in our faluca

Things I would NOT miss:


  • the traffic
  • the air pollution
  • the sound of Arabic being spoken (always sounds loud & angry)
  • the dirt & garbage everywhere
  • the begging & the poverty
  • male chauvinists
  • disappearing toilet paper; extortion to get TP; & not flushing used TP
  • sleazy taxi cab drivers
  • obnoxious shop owners
  • fried food served with potatoes, rice & french fries
  • lack of technology
  • cutting in line everywhere (airports, restaurants, hotels)
  • "hurry up & wait" mentality

Nicest spots:

  • Luxor
  • Dahab
  • Sharm el Sheikh

Worst locations:

  • our apartments in Agami (we called it Agony)
  • the tourist trap, Pharonic Village (Yvonne accurately tagged it Moronic Village)

Next summer - an African safari and at least 2 weeks in Greece!


No comments: